Cleveland driving map

Cleveland driving map

Roberta

PUBLISHED

Cleveland, TX

CLEVELAND, TEXAS (Liberty County). Cleveland is on U.S. Highway 59 forty miles northeast of Houston in northwestern Liberty County. The recorded history of the area began in 1836, when the General Land Office offered land in the county in exchange for military service. In 1854 Father Peter La Cour, who was evidently the first priest resident in the county, built a church and convent near the present townsite. The community formed after 1878, when Charles Lander Cleveland deeded 63.6 acres of land to the Houston, East and West Texas Railway with a request that a station bear his name. Since 1900 Cleveland has served as the junction of this line (now the Southern Pacific) and the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe (now the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe). The town was not incorporated until 1935. The forests around Cleveland, including Sam Houston National Forest, which is located just to its north, are a resort for many inhabitants of the Houston area, who come to camp, hike, hunt, and fish. Cleveland has several historic sites and public recreational facilities, including two parks. The Austin Memorial Library Center offers a wide range of services to the community, and a Little Theater and annual rodeo provide entertainment. Commercially, Cleveland has been a shipping point for timber, lumber, and lumber byproducts since the 1870s. Oil, gas, cattle, farm products, and sand and gravel are important to the town's economy. The general trend toward urbanization of the entire area is reflected by the fact that in 1965 Liberty County was added to the Houston Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population of Cleveland grew from 1,200 in 1930 to 5,977 in 1980. In the early 1980s an industrial park, new shopping centers, and new businesses were built to meet the growing demand. In 1990 the population was 7,124, and in 2000 it was 7,605.

1. First National Bank

127 N San Jacinto Ave

127 N San Jacinto Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

First National Bank is currently The San Jacinto Professional Building. Many of the banks original significant aspects of the building has been saved. In addition to the First National Bank of Cleveland, the history of the building includes such prominent businesses as Trinity Valley Savings and Loan, Diamond Mine Jewelry Store, Rags to Riches Resale, Second Chance Resale and even the First Fundamental Baptist Church, among others. What do the two structures the San Jacinto Professional Building and the San Jacinto Monument have in common? They share more than just a name! The interesting thing about these two structures is that they were both designed by the premier architect Alfred C. Finn. In 1931 he designed the addition and remodeling of the First National Bank of Cleveland. In 1939 he was the architect for the San Jacinto Monument. During his career he designed other Houston landmarks such as Sam Houston Coliseum, Jeff Davis Hospital, VA Hosptial, U of H Cullen Building, Gulf Building and many others.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

2. Cruse-Smith House

807 N San Jacinto Ave

807 N San Jacinto Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

Cruse-Smith House is the oldest documented home in Cleveland. It was built in 1911 by the parents of Add V. Cruse as a wedding gift for their eldest son. The house was later acquired by the Smith family, another prominent resident of Cleveland.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

3. Tom Hill House

211 S Bonham Ave

211 S Bonham Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

The Tom Hill House was constructed in 1933 by Thomas Coleman Hill (1883-1976) and his wife Arlene. Hill, a local businessman and civic leader, served three terms on the Cleveland City Council and was also a director of Farmers State Bank and a lay leader at the First United Methodist Church.

In 1975, George G. and Ann W. Silva purchased the house and property, and it remained in their family until 2005. Litton said many longtime Cleveland residents knew it as “The Silva House.”

The front-gabled bungalow features a modified rectangular plan and a deep overhanging front porch. The structure also features triangular and curved brackets, paired double-hung windows, and tongue and grooved siding.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

4. Hill McClanahan House

401 Austin St

401 Austin St, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

Hill McClanahan, a prominent grocer in the community, and his wife Sara first moved into their new home at 401 Austin Street in 1923. This home had a bit of grandeur to it back then with the spacious rooms, high ceilings, wood floors, and unique porch posts made of cypress tree trunks and brick. There were three children in the family, all born in the front room.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

5. Anderson (Sears kit) House

Untitled

402 Dudley St, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

Built by Osa and Jane Anderson around the 1920's from a kit ordered through the Sears Company. The house has been remodeled in the years since.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

6. Veteran's Memorial

Veteran's Memorial

200-298 E Hanson St, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

The Memorial stands at the front of The Austin Memorial Library and was made possible by the hard work of Reuben Johnson.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

7. First Austin Memorial Library

Original Library

227 S College Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

Mrs. Bessie Austin offered land for the first dedicated library building, which is still on the present site of the library, with the stipulation that the Library be named in honor of, and as a memorial to her late husband, Charles O. Austin. Mr. Austin was formerly a Texas State Banking Commissioner, a former president of the Farmers’ State Bank in Cleveland, and at the time of his death, a judge of Liberty County, Texas.
Mrs. Austin purchased and moved to the site an 18x20 frame building with a single door and window, which served as the library until 1957. This frame building still stands on the library grounds today.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

8. Texan Theater

Texan Theater

102 E Houston St, Cleveland, TX 77327, United States

Get Directions

Built in 1939, the Texas Theater is a quintessential small town movie house that serves a population of 7,600. It retained the ‘Texas’ name until at least 1950. Later renamed Texan Theater, in 1994 it was saved from almost certain death when new owners bought the theater.

A year later, for a mere $150,000, the theater was restored with new seats, surround sound, and a new projector. The theater has shown a modest profit since then, showing second-run films for around $4 a show.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

9. Tarkington Prairie Lodge

Untitled

124 E Houston St, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

10. First United Methodist Church

First United Methodist Church

100 N William Barnett Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, United States

Get Directions

In 1894, a group of frontiersmen gathered and started the Cleveland Methodist Episcopal Church, South. At first they met in a brush arbor in town and then a jointly used community building. They built their own church where it currently stands in 1918 after losing their first church to hurricanes. The church has been through many changes and buildings but has continued to meet in this spot.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

11. First Baptist Church

First Baptist Church

400 W Hanson St, Cleveland, TX 77327, United States

Get Directions

The group formed in 1873 and at first was on the banks of the East San Jacinto River, then a school house next to Wells Cemetery, then to a community building used by many congregations, then a shared building with Tarkington Prairie Masonic Lodge before finally coming to this spot in 1916. The church has been through two buildings and many remodelings.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

12. Hanson Family Cemetery

Hanson Family Cemetery

216 S San Jacinto Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

About three dozen graves that date back to the earliest here of I.L. Hanson who died in 1889. The cemetery named for a once-prominent family, the graves here date back to the late 1800's to early 1900's.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

13. Southern Pacific Depot

original site

202 S San Jacinto Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

14. Weeren Brothers

Weeren Brothers

123 N San Jacinto Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

15. Cleveland Memorial City Cemetery

Cleveland Memorial City Cemetery

306 N Holly Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

The Cleveland Memorial Cemetery was on land donated by Mr. Joy, owner of a local brick yard. He gave the corner of his brick yard to be used as a cemetery upon the death of his daughter, which is the cemetery's oldest grave.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

16. Rogers Drug Store

Rogers Drug Store

100 E Crockett St, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

17. Grimes Mansion

Grimes Mansion

403 Dudley St, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

18. Fostoria

Fostoria

Fostoria, Texas 77328, USA

Get Directions

Fostoria is at the intersection of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and State Highway 105, seventeen miles east of Conroe in Montgomery County. In the early 1900s the town was called Clinesburg after the owner of a mill there. In 1901 the mill was sold to the Foster Lumber Company of Kansas City, Missouri, and the settlement was renamed Fostoria after the lumber firm in 1903. Between 1910 and 1920 the population was reportedly 1,000, most of whom were employed in the mill. The town reached its peak population of 1,500 between 1915 and 1925. In 1941 the mill produced 20 million board feet of lumber and was thus one of the largest providers of Southern pine in the United States.
Fostoria was a company town. The company store sold employees clothing, groceries, furniture, and saddles and owned a hotel and barber shop for which company scrip was accepted. The scrip was not redeemable anywhere else. Only the post office was not run by the company, but it was closed after 1930. The Foster Lumber Company closed in June 1957. After the mill closed, the company homes were sold, primarily to former employees, and the business district was shut down. From the 1940s to the 1960s the population was 500. In the 1980s only a few scattered dwellings, a cemetery, a pumping station, and a radio tower south of the city remained.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

19. Santa Fe Depot

Site of Depot

728-798 Junction Ave, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

20. Cleveland Historical Museum

203 E Boothe St

203 E Boothe St, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

This building was originally used as the Cleveland City Hall when the city was incorporated in 1935. The additions housed the first jail and the first fire truck.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!

21. Cleveland Motor Company

363 E Houston St

363 E Houston St, Cleveland, TX 77327, USA

Get Directions

Over the years this building has housed many businesses. They include Cleveland Motor Co., Smith's TV and is currently a law office.
MIXSEE MAP GOES HERE!